Spag bol is an Italian classic! This one’s made with lots of tasty veggies, but it’s easy to make a meat version – see the Cook’s tips below.
Serves: 2 adults Time: 45 minutes
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 100g of mixed frozen veg
- 1–3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 400g fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ red pepper, chopped and de-seeded
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ carrot, peeled and chopped
- ½ courgette, chopped
- 150g spaghetti
- black pepper
- Put the oil into a saucepan, turn the heat to medium and add the chopped onion. Cook for a few minutes, stirring now and then, until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the garlic, followed by the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and half a mug of water. Turn the heat down a little and cook for 10 minutes until the tomatoes are starting to break down.
- Add the other chopped vegetables and simmer gently for 10–15 minutes.
- While they’re cooking, cook the pasta. Follow the instructions on the packet.
- Season the sauce with black pepper and it’s ready to serve.
- If you want to make a meat version, add 100g lean beef mince to your saucepan after step 1. Cook it for a few minutes, breaking up the mince until it’s all browned.
- Once your baby is over six months and beginning to eat a range of solid foods they can eat this too – just cut up the spaghetti into bite-sized pieces for them or try it with pasta shapes instead.
|% of your Guideline
Daily Amount (GDA)
|Energy||240 kcal 1008 (kJ)|
Guideline Daily Amounts (GDAs) are guidelines about the approximate amount of particular nutrients and calories required for a healthy diet.