Quick and simple to prepare, make the most of winter’s best vegetables with this tasty bake.
Serves: 4 adults Time: 55 minutes
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, roughly chopped
- 1 small leek, sliced
- ½ medium cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp plain low-fat fromage frais
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Black pepper
- 2 slices bread, spread with low-fat spread(sunflower spread is good)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) or gas mark 4.
- Boil the carrot and parsnips for 10 minutes until soft. While these are cooking, steam the leek and cauliflower until tender.
- Once cooked, drain and mash the parsnips and carrot and spread them over the base of a lightly greased ovenproof dish. Then layer the leek and cauliflower over the mash.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, stir in the fromage frais and herbs, and season with a little black pepper. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, covering them evenly.
- Lastly, cut the bread with spread into cubes and sprinkle over the top of the vegetable layers.
- Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes until the bread is crisp and golden brown and the egg has set.
- Add chopped walnuts or cheese to the bread topping.
- Use broccoli instead of cauliflower, or add fennel or celery.
|% of your Guideline
Daily Amount (GDA)
|Energy||219 kcal 920 (kJ)|
Guideline Daily Amounts (GDAs) are guidelines about the approximate amount of particular nutrients and calories required for a healthy diet.