Get help to buy food and milk (Healthy Start)

Health Professional

I’m responsible for distributing vitamins to Healthy Start beneficiaries, do I still need to collect the green vitamin voucher to complete the quarterly returns?

We do not require the paper vitamin vouchers, however, you must make sure that you keep a record of the Healthy Start vitamins that you have provided to beneficiaries to complete the return form.

I’m a health professional, how can I sign the Healthy Start vitamin return form without access to a scanner or printer?

The Healthy Start vitamin return form that you submit each quarter can accept a digital signature on the PDF. However, if you are unable to open the PDF because your PC does not have adobe reader, email and request an excel version where you can take a picture of your signature and supply this as an image on the return form.

We are unable to extend the cut off for each quarter, however, there is no time limit to prevent you from submitting your Healthy Start vitamin return later in the year. We can process your return form during any quarter.

How can I order extra leaflets and application forms to hand out to my patients or service users?

You can order additional leaflets and the HS01a application form by visiting

Can those excluded from claiming public funds apply for Healthy Start?

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has recently agreed to temporarily extend the Healthy Start scheme to British children (aged under 4 years old), whose parent/guardian meet the financial eligibility criteria and are excluded from claiming public funds as a consequence of their immigration status, or their lack of immigration status.

To qualify for the temporary extension they must meet all the following criteria:

  • have parental responsibility for at least one British child, who is less than 4 years old;
  • their family’s take-home pay is less than £408 per month; and
  • they are excluded from claiming public funds as a consequence of their immigration status or lack of immigration status

If they meet the eligibility criteria above and would like to apply for Healthy Start, they should email and DHSC will be in touch with them to discuss the application process. The applicant can use the same email address if they have any other questions.

Alert: Get help to buy food and milk (Healthy Start)

If you are receiving HMRC Child Tax Credits and you have an invitation letter from the NHS, you can apply for the new service here.